Tips on Picking a Good Plumber
As a 24 hour plumbing company we take a LOT of calls from customers who are cautious and a little distrusting when they call looking for a good plumber. Service providers who visit your home require a higher level of trust and comfort than the dry cleaner or computer store that you visit on their territory. Many times customers will insist on a getting a price for plumbing services over the phone. Because they want the reassurance of price comparing when shopping for services, customers will call multiple plumbers. This is a valid method for shopping for many items and is a practice I have used many times myself. However, plumbing problems can be very complex and nearly impossible to accurately price over the phone.
A good plumber will want to examine the problem and arrive at a true diagnosis. They can then give an accurate written estimate for the plumbing repair service. Therefore, any price you get on the phone is a vague estimate, not a firm price. Additionally, if you use this technique for plumbing services you are putting yourself at the mercy of unscrupulous companies. They will low ball you on the phone just to get their “foot in the door”, and raise the price once they are in your home or business. The best way to be a smarter plumbing consumer is to do some research in finding a good plumber before you need one. This will help to avoid making a panicked call to to get your plumbing issue fixed by the first plumber that can get to your home or business.
8 Simple Steps to Finding a Good Plumber:
- Visit a few local plumbing company websites and look for informative content.
- Research the company owner. Is it a faceless chain or local family owned business?
- Be sure they are a licensed, bonded, and insured plumbing company.
- Insure they provide binding, written estimates explaining the plumbing repairs.
- Insure they guarantee their work and the warranties are written on the estimate.
- Read their reviews on their website, and sites like Google+ and Home Advisor.
- Check the Better Business Bureau website for the plumbing company’s rating.
- Make sure there is no trip charge, estimate charge, or fuel charge.
In conclusion, a little research can go along way in finding a good plumber. It can give you the peace of mind you are looking for when you have a plumbing issue in your home or business. Once you have the information and assurance through your research, pick the plumbing company that you are most comfortable hiring. A great place to start your research are local plumbing companies and not the big name-brand chains.
Who’s Got Plumbing??? We all do! See ya soon.